Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hypocrisy

Those of you that know me know that one of the things I hate most in this world is hypocrisy. So I must bring what little attention I can to the Minnesota Senate race in which Al Franken is suing Ramsey County in order to find out the names of the voters whose ballets have been rejected. He also wants to know the reason behind the rejection.

So apparently it is ok to blow privacy out of the water when you are a Democrat and you are afraid you may loose an election but it is not ok to eavesdrop on the telephone conversations of suspected terrorist.

For the record, I don’t believe it is ok to eavesdrop on an American Citizen without a warrant. But I just want point out the hypocrisy. I hope the same Democrats that berated the Bush administration will step up and condemn a member of their own party.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in the governments use of warrantless wiretaps or eavesdropping either. Nor do I believe, as you seem to hint at, that this is a partisan issue.

How would you propose they find out who rejected the absentee ballots in question and why without violating some personal data. If you vote absentee, your vote is absolutely attached to your personal data. In this case, I think there is a valid reason for the lawsuit.

I don't live in Minnesota and am by no means an Al Franken supporter. But, this does not come down to a partisan split, it comes down to votes being rejected, important votes that could decide the outcome, without a due cause reported. It comes down to a method that is probably broken.

I'd like to see it settled and a precedent set. If this is the way it needs to happen, then so be it. The voters are in no more danger from prying eyes than they would be if they bank online.

crazyBobcat said...

*heh*