Saturday, December 01, 2007

Antwerpen 1.1

I was fortunate that our meeting was being held at the Hilton in the historic district of Antwerpen because believe me my company would never have approved the cost had I not threatened to take a taxi every day from the other side of the city. (What they don’t know, is that probably would have been cheaper).

 

Old Antwerp is dominated by its Cathedral and indeed it proved very useful while marching through the narrow and winding streets and alleyways of the city. If ever I wondered where I was I only had to look up or listen for the bells that rang every 15 minutes. The cathedral has a much storied history. Started in the 15th century it latterly took centuries to finish. In fact, some would tell you that it is not yet finished as it only has one tower. You can see it’s stubby, unfinished, sister just this side of the finished tower the photo here. Indecently, I tried taking many many photos, but being that most of the time I could be out and about the city it was dark, this is really the best I had. The one thing I was told by locals is that everyone can remember how tall the tower is because it is an even and easy to remember 123 meters high. I guess because it is the 1-2-3 it is easy to remember, but I thought it would have been easer to remember if it was 100. I guess they didn’t ask me.

 

Back to the history… I’m doing this from memory, so don’t sue me if I get it wrong in a few places. After the Romans left town the Vikings decided to take a turn at Antwerp (something that apparently happens a lot) and being Vikings, they burned the place to the ground. After the Catholics came a conquering they found, in the ashes, a statue of what appeared to be a Madonna, which was most likely the Roman Fertility god, but it was burned and when you’re looking for a miracle, who’s counting. So they figured this was where God was telling them to build a church, they did. The decorated it with a lot of great art, most of which can now be found somewhere in Madrid, because of course the Spanish had to have their turn with Antwerp.

 

 

 

No comments: