Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Coverville USA

I was flying to somewhere (I think it was to D.C.) listening to my MP3 player when an episode of Coverville (http://www.coverville.com) came on. A friend suggested I throw a few in my playlist and I guess it finally got around to it. It was fantastic! I went to the web site and subscribed and began downloading the old episodes and have been playing catch up during my commute. Coverville, as its title would indicate, is a podcast that focuses on music covers. Most people would think that is a somewhat limiting topic, but 250 plus episodes shows that there is plenty of material out there. When you think about it, garage bands cover big artists, big artists cover other big artists, and big artists cover obscure artists and make their songs huge. Coverville plays them all, and gives you the stories behind it.

Coverville is produced and hosted by Brian Ibbott, whose passion and vast music knowledge is obvious, or at least he has enough passion and knows where to look the stuff up. He has a smooth voice and rarely rambles off subject. He stammers a bit too much with huh’s and hum’s but it somehow endures him to the listener. I think it gives off just enough of an unpolished feel to let you know that this is not some big time radio production. According to some interviews, Ibbott is somewhat of a pioneer in the individual music podcast realm choosing to do things the right way by working with licensing authorities to ensure Coverville is legal, or at least as legal as possible.

I highly suggest you check it out a few episodes.

No comments: