Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Beach Is Back?



I finally made it down to the beach. I had prepared myself for it not being that bad. I have talked with Bob on several occasions and he has used the term like “the Beach is back” and “amazed at the progress” but I was shocked at the destruction that was still evident. People use the term “like a bomb went off” all the time, but this is the only way to describe it. We are rapidly approaching three months since the storm and they are still pulling bodies from the debris. I was there Saturday after Thanksgiving where a group of our neighbors and friends gathered much like they have for many Thanksgiving, only this time it was to mourn the loss of the community we love so much, the community that I grew up in. I watched as some of the folks displayed there “Yes we can” attitude to rebuild and then slowly, as the alcohol too affect, watched that optimism turned to the reality that rebuilding make take more resources than individuals and government can provide, at least for now. Part of me is angry at the fact Galveston and the mainlands are receiving so much of the resources to rebuild, but I certainly understand. I just hope that when things are “normal” across the bay that the resources don’t just go away and forget about the Peninsula.


The above photo is of what is left of Fred's house. It is a rather optimistic photo with the lone surviving palm.


The sun coming up over looking the slab where The Beach House used to be. A make shift road now occupies the yard where so many Easter Eggs where hunted and so many Crayfish were boiled.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easter egg hunts...crawfish boils...and plenty of drunken debauchery! Maybe a time will come when the focus will return the peninsula..and those who have committed their life's resources can consider returning. Hopefully this holiday season..those who have lost so much care take solace in the fact that while you may be mourning the devastating losses of what you have built over the course of your life...your loved ones are not mourning the loss of you! My prayers are with all who lost..I hope someday to spend happy hour on the beach with each of you.

Anonymous said...

sad sad very depressing ...hopefully we can hunt eggs again this year ... even if we have to set up tents and blowup mattresses.

MaritaBeth said...

Again, Terrill, my heart aches for the losses of your family and so many others. I do hope that somehow, although it will never be the same, the community there on Bolivar can be re-established and re-birthed. Somehow.

~MB of The Daily KRuMB