Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Day the Music Died... or at least was never heard.

Time for another rant…

My MP3 player went missing last time I was in Miami. I’m sure I probably left it in the hotel room but shockingly they were unable to find it when I called. It was not a huge loss because it was only a little key drive that happened to play mp3’s. Not many features but it got the job done. But since it was gone it needed to be replaced. So after doing a lot of research and settled on the iPod. Yeah, it surprised me too. Those that know me know that I will usually go out of my way to not be main stream but just like my attitude on Microsoft there is a reason they are wildly successful. The sound is very good and the features and accessories are ample. But what pisses me off (you knew there would be something) is that with everyone trying to do the right and legal thing with music downloads is screwing the little guy. Over at the The Lucky Word I blogged about The Departures and really wanted to listen to some of their music to see if they worth a damn but the only media on their site was either streaming snippets or must be downloaded via iTues UK and not available in the US. So how is this benefiting this group? Here is a guy sitting in Fort Worth Texas wanting to listen to their music and even willing to buy a song but can’t because they have it too restricted. I’m sure it is probably not their doing. I’m sure they turned over their eBusiness to some company that said they can take them to new levels. But all it is doing is preventing someone from hearing what they want the world to hear. If it were my band I would stomp my feet and cry like a baby until someone did something about it. I would at least insist that my web site had songs in MP3 format ready for download by any and everyone so that they can get a sample of my music and I wouldn’t listen to some suit telling them how it should be done.

Arrrrghhhh.

No comments: