Thursday, October 12, 2006

Clinton vs. Bush - The Rumble in the Jungle

OK, so I had another one of those bar discussions where my liberal friend issued some statements that quite frankly I could not refute because I did not know the data. So I looked it up. I love the internet.

The very typical liberal statement made by my friend was name 1 thing that is good about the Bush years.

I quickly responded that despite what the media would have you believe that the economy is doing quite well. He scoffed and pointed to the recent recession which he was correct there was a short recession that the U.S. economy recovered from very quickly. Now I know that broad policy is the only affect the President has on the economy but you canĂ‚’t tell liberals that. Regardless, he stuck to his guns and said that the economy was MUCH better under Clinton than it is under Bush. I decided to do a little research and find some pretty pictures that he could understand (just kidding, he is a very smart man, ignorant at times, but smart)

Statement 1: Unemployment is worse, people can't find jobs.
Fact: Unemployment did get worse during and right after the recession and 9/11. But it has made a very nice recovery.



Statement 2: If they can find a job it is at minimum wage and you can't support a family on that.
Fact: Wages are up... way up.



Statement 3: Even if they do make money, everything is so expensive.
Fact: Sort of true.. especially if you consider energy cost. But the cost of goods and services have remained steady over the last 10 years.

No comments: