Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Sweet Muse Travel

June 11, 2006 – DFW Airport.

OK, I know I keep saying I’m going to update this thing more often, but this time I mean it. (Yeah right) Well, at least I’m going to do it today.

Today I am going to address the self induced and sometimes forced insanity of travel. What’s worse is that I actually work for an airline. Those of you that work for an airline probably know where I’m going with this.

Airlines are in the business of moving people and packages and I understand that, but one of the things that attract people to work for the airline is the reduced rate travel. I bet you thought I was going to say the money. If you did, you have never worked for the airline industry. No, most of us are attracted to the industry because of the sweet muse Travel. Working for an airline allows you to “Non Revenue” travel or “Non-rev” when there is space available on a flight. But this process is not what I want to address today, I will talk more on it later.

Today I’m traveling on company business. However, once again the airline employee is the bottom of the pack when it comes to being a passenger. Even when the company wants/needs to you travel. I’m here to tell you that I go through hell every time THEY want me to go somewhere. First of all I have to book in a class that is just below earthworm. For you non airline folks, that means that you could find a coupon in a cereal box and have more of a chance getting a reservation that I do. That also means that even though I am compelled to be somewhere by my company, I can’t make any plans to get there. Instead I must go and wait at the airport and hope that some poor smuck can’t get his car started or over slept so that I can get on the airplane in his seat. It is very stressful and not in the least bit glamorous. In addition, if your company wanted you to go overseas, most likely you are allowed to book in business class. I’m allowed to book in the one seat next to the toilet between the twelve screaming infants that NEVER go to sleep.

The only saving grace…. Airport bars. And since I’m probable going to be sitting at one all day, I’m sure I’ll some more to write. If I don’t slur my typing.

No comments: